Flow restrictors are used to limit the rate of flow of water from the faucet. There is a rule since 1994 to sell all the faucets with the flow restrictor. The delta flow restrictor will help to reduce the wastage of the water. Normally the flow of water in the normal faucet will be 2 gallons in a minute. But not every user requires that much flow of water. So it is wise to limit the flow of water from the faucets. These faucet aerators help in large to prevent the wastage of water.
Our kind advice: If you got a faulty flow restrictor then repair it or replace it. Don’t remove it. It might be a rule to fit the flow restrictor according to the state rule. We advise you to adhere to the rules to prevent water usage.
With some positives, the fitting of delta faucet flow restrictors will also lead to few negatives. Saving the water is positive but after few months of usage, the deposits will start to accumulate inside the flow restrictor. Especially when the tap uses hard water then the deposits will be high. Also don’t remove the flow restrictors from the delta faucet completely. Because it may cause issues if you are having low water pressure. So clean them and if they are corrupted or damaged then kindly replace them.
Before disassembling the faucet you need to close all the water valves. If you fail to do that the water might get splashed all over the room. So proceed after closing the water valve.
The process of flow restrictor removal is briefly explained in the post. Read and follow all the steps properly. If not then it may lead to extra problems so that you might be in a need to call the plumber.
Remove Flow Restrictor from the Delta Faucet
Note: Before starting the process of removal make sure you have the required tools / basic plumbing tools such as a wrench, spanner, and knife. You will also need a towel to cover the drain to prevent any small parts from falling into it.
- Carefully remove the aerator from the faucet. Some faucet models have aerators that can be easily removed by the hand by twisting it in the clockwise direction. If you can’t remove the aerator then use a tool to remove it.
- Once you remove the aerator then the flow restrictor comes out from the faucet. Don’t let it fall down in the drain and also handle it with care.
- Open the faucet slowly because with the flow restrictor not in place the water will splash immediately spilling a lot of water. So open the faucet slowly. Wash the flow restrictor gently and check for any damage.
- If the flow restrictor got corroded or dirty then wash it slowly and check for breakage. If no cracks or breaks available then there is no need for replacing the flow restrictor.
- After drying the flow restrictor gently place them inside the pipe and close it with the aerator. Don’t force the aerator too much else it might break or it will become so tight and difficult to remove it the next time.
- After fixing all the parts back, kindly turn on the water to check the water flow if it is okay and not blocking then you can appreciate yourself for fixing it just right.
The process to remove and clean the delta faucet flow restrictor is the same for the other faucet brands like Moen is more or less the same. So learning one will help you to clean all the brands in the same way.
If you feel that you have low water pressure even after fixing the flow restrictor then the problem might not be with the restrictor.
Why Flow Restrictor / Water Restrictor Should be Installed?
Some people might think, why keep water restrictor inside the faucet when clearly they do not need and you can yourself save the water by proper usage, but this is practically impossible because of the two major reasons. One is, people won’t follow the rule if there is no law or governing rules around it and the second is without the restrictor the water pressure in the faucet is reduced and only huge water wastage will be there without any pressure to clean faster. Also, some other reasons are noted below:
- Controls the water flow
- Helps to save water
- Filters the water from debris
- Improves the pressure
1. Controls the water flow
The flow will be high if the water pressure in the house is too high or frequently change. If the flow restrictor is fitted then it controls the water pressure also. When the pressure is high the flow restrictor limits it and when it is low it just improves it.
2. Helps to save water
Few people will never understand the importance of water until the zero water day comes. Thus they will waste the water by completely opening the faucet. Thus the importance of flow restrictor is understood and it is noted in the pipeline guidelines in many states. So never use any faucet without the flow restrictor. As you all know saving water must be the first priority to save humanity from running out of drinking/freshwater.
3. Filtering the debris
The water that is supplied by the city might have many impurities including the dirt that might come out of the faucet. The water flow restrictor will also act as a small filter that filters out the large and small dirt as well.
4. Improves the pressure
The pressure in the water depends on the quality of plumbing done in the home. Also if there is any fault in the plumbing lines then the pressure may fluctuate and that can cause the faucet to let out the water at low pressure. Thus the flow restrictors are fitted in the faucet. It will help to improve the pressure in the faucet.